Saturday, November 28, 2020

The End Of All Now

There's a lot of talk about what everyone is planning to do once this whole pandemic thing is over. Ignoring the fact that the definition of when that could be is hazy at best, there are a lot of differing ideas, even a variety of plans by individual people related to different aspects of their life. 

For me, I can't wait to travel home to Ireland again and see all my family and friends in person. Skype just doesn't cut it. I've been missing them a lot, especially given that my mum and sister were due to travel to us in May to celebrate my birthday. In fact, the last time we had visitors from home was this very week last year when Claire's parents stayed a while to be here for my son's second birthday. 

Without traveling half a world, I want to go to board game conventions and meetups. I want to hang out in a room full of friends, laughing and chatting and hugging and high-fiving. I want to be surrounded by friends I haven't seen in over a year. I'm not even all that interested in playing games, I just want to spend time with them all together in one place. 

Finally, I want to organise a mask burning party. I want to have food, and Rock Band karaoke, and fire pits to sit around after dark. I want a big metal barrel with a wood fire where people can throw in a mask to celebrate the end of it all. 

But, actually, I don't want it to ever entirely end. I don't want everyone to burn or discard all their masks once a vaccine becomes widely available. I want a certain level of mask wearing to become common place if anyone has a cough or snotty nose. I want that to be an ongoing common courtesy to your community in stores, or workplaces, or any other gathering place. 

Never forget how bad it got, or how much better it could be. 

No comments: