Monday, November 09, 2020

Plastic, Cardboard And Friends

I love boardgames. I love the challenge. I love the components. I love the art. I love the tactile nature of a physical, on a table, plastic and cardboard game. 

But mostly, I love the friends. When we first moved to Vancouver and chose this neighbourhood as our home, I googled for boardgame stores, found one within reasonable walking distance and treked over in the first few weeks after we had settled. It’s not there anymore, the whole area has been redeveloped, but it’s where I made a lot of new friends in this strange land. Over the years, boardgames was my jumping off point for many of my friendships, either through meeting people at conventions or being connected through other friends by way of “Hey, you both like boardgames, you should talk!”

And that’s been the hardest thing about these past seven months or so. Not being able to share a room with friends outside my bubble means no boardgames. There are options, but none of them support the casual chitchat of meeting up on an evening and laughing over some snacks and a short game. 

So, when all this is over, I’ll be hitting up every meetup and minicon I can find within moderately reasonable distance! I needs me my games, I needs me my friends. 

No comments: