Saturday, November 14, 2020

Sweet Pepper Man

My son is weird. 

Growing up in my house we always had an old sweet tin stocked with chocolates and biscuits and treats that we could pretty much dig into at our leisure. It was always there when the cousins and friends came to visit, or when a neighbour popped in for a cup of tea. Because it was always there, my siblings and I never really thought about it. We didn’t just eat chocolate bars all day long, and never went looking for something before meals. 

That said, I do have a wicked sweet tooth. I enjoy my chocolates and biscuits, even the inferior ones we get here in Canada. So does my daughter. Ada will happily devour a chocolate bar, or raid the cookie jar when she’s hungry. 

But her brother can’t even finish the thin shell of chocolate on a Kinder Egg. Connor hsa never shown the least interest in sweet things, beyond a sense of obligation because Ada is getting something. He rarely finishes even the smallest ice cream cones or sweet deserts, much to Ada’s joy. Even a sweet apple will be picked at and then mostly left untouched. 

However, Connor loves a good, crunchy Granny Smith. He’ll happily nibble the heads of broccoli while I chop and prepare them, and he adores fresh, raw, red bell peppers! Today I took him shopping to Safeway and he insisted on picking out a pepper to buy. Fine by me. I had planned omelet for dinner and needed half. He could eat the other half, I thought. 

Connor had other ideas. This evening, while I was preparing dinner, Connor ate the entire bell pepper. I just had to cut out the seeds and white connective tissue and he ate whole thing like a sliced apple. I had to text my friends that live near us to see if any of them could offer a replacement. Thankfully one did, but when I started cutting it up Connor ate half that too!! He then went on to eat his entire dinner on top of that, and a few forkfuls of my omelet besides!

My son is weird. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your mother still has that tin of goodies in the press. The biscuit tin must be an antique at this stage