Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Laying Tracks And Building Railhouses

I broke out my inner Adam Savage with the kids today. 

Thanks to rising numbers of cases of CoVID-19 here in BC, we've been asked to limit our interactions with people outside our immediate family for two weeks. This includes limiting time at playgrounds, so, once again, we're stuck mostly at home. 

My kids are taking these strange times wonderfully. They love spending time drawing, playing with their toys, reading books. But they also love playing with their friends, and they miss being outdoors. Normally a day rarely passes without some time at a playground, regardless of weather. 

Being home a lot more than usual, I've been trying to distract them with a variety of activities. Today's was the train set. We have plenty of track to build unique layouts and I really enjoy building them for the kids. 

But today I wanted to make it extra special, so I broke out the cardboard from the recycling bin, a scissors, tape and ruler and cut out some buildings for the tracks. The kids loved them. They're very basic and simple, and the cuts are less than straight, with no effort to hide the tape, but they bring joy. I liked making them, and I think tomorrow I'll try making a few more, maybe a bit more complex than a simple box. 

No comments: