Sunday, November 01, 2020

Gotta Buck Fifty?

Some people, my own wife included, like to take the month of November to write a novel in just 30 days. You’re only expected to write a first draft, so no polish or deep editing required, but it’s still a lot. A whole lot. The idea is just to get the framework out and on the page, not to have something publisher ready. But, yikes... That’s a lot of words. 

I’ve decided to join some friends online trying to write just 150 words a day for the month instead. It’s called the Buck Fifty Challenge. Started by someone I follow on twitter, it sounded like a good idea. Rather than try to build a book in a month, build a habit. Just write, even a little. 

Not everything I write will get blogged. Unlike the the novel challenge, this doesn’t have to be one continuous story. It can be letters, (<-150!), journals, poems, short stories, whatever takes your fancy. But, also unlike the bigger parent, you don’t have to make up missed days. Didn’t do your 150 yesterday? No stress, just move on with your week and try for 150 today. 

To learn more about the Buck Fity Challenge, follow this link to the creators tweet, and great, short video, all about it! 

You got this!

Post Script: I realized that, once I had highlighted the 150th word in this post, I couldn’t easily go back and edit before that. So, although I’d like to change a few things, I’m going to leave it. On to tomorrow! 

No comments: