Wednesday, November 04, 2020

I Don’t Know

I don’t know if I’ll make 150 words tonight, but I’m going to start writing. Tonight, the world stares at the United States of America in utter disbelief that a racist, sexist, corrupt, lying old white man can still get close to half the votes in their Presidential elections. For four years this man has actively worked to destroy everything good that the previous President put in place, as well as sundering older laws protecting the environment, minorities, the financially vulnerable, the sick and elderly, and many, many more in a multitude of ways. 

Almost half of all Americans apparently are either racist or stupid or stupid racists. It doesn’t make sense. 

And because of this, America is being drowned in white supremacists, and when people in other countries see that behaviour being rewarded, they start to feel empowered to be openly racist too. It’s infecting everyone, from my birthplace of Ireland to my home here in Canada. 

It’s disgusting. 

I only hope the next four years and many beyond witness a process of global healing. 

I hope, but I don’t entirely believe.

No comments: