Sunday, November 04, 2007

Spirit Of The Game

I really, really want to run a Spirit of the Century game that lasts ten to twelve episodes, concluding in a two-part high budget season finale! (How do you do "high budget" in an RPG where everything is imaginary? Props, people. Props.) I just love the system, and GaelCon has gotten me all excited about role-playing again, and gaming in general. Tonight, at the time that I'm writing this entry, I'm setting up to play Settlers of Catan with Claire, Mark and Wanqing, which should be fun! I'll let you know how it goes (if you don't hear from me, assume I lost and am sulking in my room... I do that a lot).

Anyway, when it comes to writing a campaign, I'm kind of a noob. I tried once or twice before, but failed. So this time I'm going to write up the episodes as much as possible in advance. It certainly helps that I already have an idea of where I want the story to go. Any hints from me readers? How do you run an on-going game? One session at a time, or with a arcing plot? Do you have a site that stores handy scenarios for use in a pinch, or just steal the plots from books or movies? Generally, I'm looking for nuggets of wisdom you've picked up while playing or GMing yourself.

I guess after that, all I need are willing players!

Edit: I lost. Horribly. I came last. Mark won by transforming a town into a city and then dropping a "Victory Point" resource card. Good game. Just as I was beginning to feel like it should wrap up, it did! Sweet.

No comments: