Tuesday, April 24, 2007

52 Weeks One Person

I don't think I've mentioned here already that I'm jealous of anyone that can take self portraits. I mean, just look at these from Bob, Cian, Karen and Sharon, all good friends, all flaunting their talent in my face! Curses! And you know what's sickening about most of these? They're untouched, presented as snapped. That's all natural awesomeness! Gah!!

Now admittedly, my dislike of my own self portraits is in part due to the fact that I'm not a big fan of looking at photos of myself, but it's also true that I don't feel that I have a great eye for photography. That said, self portraits can be amazing, and seeing a bunch together is always nice. The best, in my opinion, are the ones that just look natural. Not posed, not set up. Just grabbing a camera and snapping a great picture. I don't think I can do that.

With this in mind, I want to introduce you all to a Flickr Group called 52 Weeks. It's a group of users on Flickr that are taking one self-portrait a week and adding them to that group, or adding their favourite if they take more. There's another group that is trying to get daily self portraits, 365 in a year, but that's a bit much for me. 52 sounds far more reasonable.

As I said, I know some of my friends and readers do awesome self-portraits, so I thought people might like to contribute. I'm going to be trying it myself, starting today. One photo a week can't be that hard to do, can it?!? I mean, even if I don't like 99% of the images of myself I take, I've got seven whole days to find that 1%.

Anyway. Have a look at some of the contributions already and see what you think. Some are great, some are good, but they're all interesting.

3 comments:

Cian said...

This is tempting, I will be taking a self portrait this week for another project so I may join you in this. The only thing is, like yourself, I hate seeing myself in photos, the only reason why I posted that one is because the camera covers most of my face.

//Cian

Denis said...

Did you have a look at the group? You could do 52 images without ever showing your face! That's why I think i might actually manage all 52 weeks.

Weefz said...

Ooo, sounds like a great idea. I just joined the group :)