Saturday, November 27, 2021

Order Up!

As the pandemic wore on, the alure of home cooked meals began to wear off, and with the rise of meal delivery services, such as DoorDash, UberEats and Skip the Dishes, new and varied meals were available at the touch of a phone screen. 

After a friend suggested a fancy burger place, and I started craving fancy burgers, I decided to try ordering from them. When I found them on my delivery app of choice, I noticed they also offered fancy deserts, so I ordered one for me and one for Claire. The kids wouldn't appreciate it, and there was ice cream in the freezer. 

The burgers arrived, nicely packed, and, packed in individual little plastic ramekins, fancy dips for my fancy chips (fries to my North American friends). I tried the watery yellow honey mustard with a chip. It wasn't very nice. I tried the thick dark orange peach sauce. That was too sweet.

But my kids loved dipping their chips in the fancy sauce, so I left them enjoy it. 

Dinner done and the kids in bed, I cracked open the fancy deserts for Claire and myself. Key lime pie for Claire, sticky toffee pudding for me. The pie was delicious, the pudding was...fine? It kinda lacked something. A little dry. You know, now that I think of it, I'm sure the description mentioned something...

I checked the app. In house fresh made custard and warm caramel sauce included.

I looked over at the sink, piled with the plates and leftovers of dinner, topped with two, barely touched ramekins of honey mustard and peach sauce...

I'd made a horrible mistake.

That sticky toffee pudding was delicious, with just a hint of potato chip.

No comments: