Monday, February 10, 2020

Martha

Clark floated in the air above a city that was familiar but different. The figure before him matched his pose, but everything else was slightly unique, from the clasps on his shoulders to the design of the belt and boots and the raised “S” on his chest. He was younger too.

Familiar, but different.

“Who are you?”

The other smiled. “I’m you, Kal. A different you, from another world. This one, actually.” This other Superman gestured broadly around him. “Welcome to my Earth. We’ve been tracking a threat that’s shifting between the various ElseWorlds, as we’ve called them. They’re using quantum tunnels to break through the barriers and building up an army of-”

“Wait. Stop. I’m in another world?” Clark looked back over his shoulder to the west.

“Yes. You-“

“I need a minute.”

And within the blink of an eye, he was past the horizon.

***

The mailbox said “Kent”. The barn was the same red, but the farmhouse was a different shade of yellow from the one he knew. For just a moment he hesitated, thought about disappearing back over the edge of the horizon. Then Martha stepped out onto the front porch.

She dropped the mug she was holding when she saw him. He could have caught it before it broke, but, for some reason, his body was frozen in place.

“Clark?” Martha didn’t move from the threshold.

“Yes. But not from your world. I just... I’m sorry. I just wanted to see...”

Now she stepped forward. “You look so familiar, but... different. I guess the comics got it wrong. Parallel universe versions of ourselves don’t look identical to each other. Close enough, but not the same. You hold yourself like my Clark, though.”

“Genetically, there must be tiny differences that lead to physical changes. But we were raised alike.” Clark could feel his chest tighten. “And you’re so much like my mo-... Martha. I just wanted to... I just needed to...” His thoat closed up. It was only when Martha touched his hand that he realized he was standing on the ground.

There were tears in her eyes.

There were tears in his eyes.

“I couldn’t save her. I’ve saved so many, but I couldn’t save her.” He drew a ragged breath. “She got sick. It was fast, and at least...” He could taste the salt on his lips. “At least I got to say goodbye. But there was so much I didn’t get to say. So much I wanted to show her. I know you’re not her, but I just wanted to see you again once more, mom. To tell you I love you. I love you so much every day.”

Martha hugged him. For a moment, she just held him and listened to his gentle sobs. “I know. I know son. I’ve never doubted it for a second.”

Clark took a step back and grabbed the edge of his cape, pulling it to his face. When it dropped, the tears were gone, though his face was still a little flushed. “It’s okay mom. I won’t blow my nose in it again.”

“Again?!?”

They both laughed, long and hard. A few more tears.

“Would you like to come in for tea?”

“Just like mom.” Clark took a breath and turned toward the east. There was a pinprick shadow on the horizon, watching, listening, protecting, and respecting. He nodded once, then disappeared back toward the city. “There’s somewhere I have to be.”

“Maybe next time you’re in town?”

“I’d like that.” Clark turned his head to look at the woman who almost raised him one last time. “Is Jonathon...?”

Martha’s gaze drifted out across the fields. “He died years ago. Protecting Clark.”

Clark smiled. “Same. Typical dad. Some things never change.”

And with that, he was gone.

No comments: